Sync With the Blockchain
- Before your wallet can do anything, it needs to be synced. The cloud icon at the bottom right of the wallet shows your sync status, you can hover the mouse over it for detailed information. A green cloud means it is fully synced. Note that the first time you run the wallet, it may take several hours to fully sync depending on your computer and internet connection speed.
If you don't want to sync from 0, then you can download a snapshot of the blockchain from clicking File -> Snapshot Download or using the
-snapshotdownloadcommand line argument
- The snapshot will only bring you up to 80-90% sync. Allow it to continue syncing after the snapshot has been extracted.
If you are unable to acquire connections to the Gridcoin network, attempt the following:
- Verify you're running the latest version of the Gridcoin client, as there are frequent updates. Check the downloads page for the most recent version.
- Verify that your computer's time is in the correct timezone.
- Investigate whether or not your ISP, firewall, or anti-virus is blocking P2P traffic.
- Ask for help on any community platform
Get Some Gridcoin
- In Gridcoin's Proof-of-Stake (PoS) system, BOINC rewards are given when a user stakes, along with an additional 10 GRC.
Since Gridcoin 5.4 you don't have to stake on your own to get BOINC rewards. Instead you can get your rewards by clicking a button and paying a small fee to have somebody else stake for you via an MRC request.
See this wiki entry for further details.
- For monthly staking, a balance of 5000 GRC is recommended.
- Note: Your balance does not affect the amount of the payout, only how frequent. You also need to wait around 16 hours before any coins received are able to stake.
Ways to Get Gridcoin
If you don't want to buy any Gridcoin, you can get some through the faucets or through pool mining.
On most exchanges you need to first buy Bitcoin in order to buy Gridcoin.
- Use the Gridcoin Switzerland Faucet
- Use the GridcoinStats Faucet
Join the Discord server and register with the wallet bot to use the
%faucetcommand in the
- Join Steemit and post original Gridcoin content then exchange rewards for Gridcoin.
- Work on Gridcoin development bounties. See the lists here and here